This study is being done to learn more about aortitis, a disease that affects the blood vessels. Clinical and laboratory information will be collected on patients with aortitis to study the disease over an extended period of time. The data from this study will be used by scientists to study the genetics and causes of aortitis, find new ways to track disease and predict responses, to understand how to treat patients, and much more.
Aortitis can cause swelling of large or medium-sized blood vessels in the aorta, the main blood vessel that leaves your heart. Women are affected by aortitis somewhat more often than men. Usually this disease begins in early adulthood but can occur in children. This disease can make you feel tired, lose your vision, raise your blood pressure, and sometimes result in heart attacks. We do not know what causes aortitis.
About this Study
There will be approximately 250 adults and children taking part in this study at approximately 15 medical centers across North America. During this research study, we will:
- Collect clinical, laboratory, and diagnostic imaging studies (pictures and x-rays);
- Collect blood and urine samples, including genetic information (DNA);
- Obtain medical information and research blood and urine samples from patients over time;
- Gather information from research questionnaires
Participants will be in the study for up to ten years.
To be eligible to participate, you must:
- Have a confirmed diagnosis of aortitis.
You are not eligible to participate if:
- You are already enrolled in another VCRC longitudinal study.
- Are unable to provide consent.
How to participate
In order to participate in a study, you must personally contact the study coordinator of any of the participating institutions by phone or by e-mail. Please use the information below to inquire about participation.
- Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston
Not Yet Recruiting
- Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
B. Minal Hatwar
- University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh
Laurie Hope, RN
- University British Columbia/Mary Pack Arthritis Centre, Vancouver
Phone: 604-875-4111 x63323